"Research has shown that young children have a virtually limitless capacity to learn languages. Children need real, interactive experiences, not virtual ones, for brain development and academic success. New studies on brain development indicate that early exposure to more than one language builds a more powerful brain, with faster and more efficient synaptic connections." ? Newsweek, "Your Baby's Brain", April 2003
Some people think that exposing a young child to a second language will just confuse the child and maybe even interfere with them learning their first language. However, research shows just the opposite!
The window of opportunity is greatest from birth to age 6. The earlier your child is exposed to another language, the easier it is for them to acquire it!
Top 5 Benefits of Learning a Second Language
1. Improves Cognitive Development -Bilingual learners are more "out of the box" thinkers then monolingual learners
2. Correlation between Bilingualism and Intelligence -Bilingual kids are smarter!
3. Improves Standardized Test Scores -Want to raise your child's ACT and SAT scores? Start teaching them a foreign language NOW!
4. Improves Overall Academic Performance -Who wouldn't want that?!
5. Boosts Self-Esteem -Bilingual children are more confident
Here is the link to research findings that back all this up from ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages).